Case Study UPTO 1,500 words
Related to the achievement of proficiency(s) during direct care involving meeting the needs of a person/family receiving care
- This is a upto 1500word case study which is ideally based upon the achievement of proficiency (s) as a nursing training
- Your case study is a nursing intervention related to the achievement of proficiency(s) during direct care involving meeting the needs of a person/family receiving care
- This may be a single or group of individuals depending on the care environment.
Learning outcomes: your case study must address below ILOs
- ILO1: Under supervision, develop basic competence skills in assessment, and the safe delivery of foundational practice.
- ILO2: Develop the skills required to demonstrate self-management in a variety of settings.
Choosing a case
- It should not cover the whole of the patient’s stay in hospital or be a description of care that you provided over 1 shift.
- This is not a reflective piece of work. It is an opportunity to link evidence to and evaluate your practice experience
- Basically, why do we what we do? Are we effective? How and why might we improve?
Examples could be:
- Personal care
- Completing observations.
- Administering medication under supervision.
- Wound dressing.
- Completing clinical observations.
- Completing admission paperwork.
- Assisting a patient at mealtimes.
- Completing a fluid balance chart.
- Effective discharge planning.
- Assignment brief format: Suggestion NOT prescription
- Must contain clear introduction, body & conclusion
- Throughout the case study you must focus on the role played by the student nurse to demonstrate competency in basic nursing skills and how you achieve self-management in clinical practice.
- Do not simply describe tasks rather discuss/debate/critique rationale behind your actions supported by references in line with evidence-based practice.
- Demonstrate masterless: evaluate, analyse, argue, discuss..
avoid descriptive writing PLEASE
Understanding the question: It is important to understand what the question is asking you to do. The ‘process word’ or instruction identifies this. Below is a list of common ‘process words’:
- Refer to assessment brief, ILOs and marking rubric at all times
- Quick Plan: start with what do you already know, and what you need to find out before starting your research/reading so you target relevant material
- Gather literature: use range of sources, mixture of books, journal articles good quality websites, module reading lists
- Detailed Plan: Now you’ve got lots of information, work out which bits to use in your assignment and in what order you need to mention them. Map against ALL learning outcomes to ensure they are addressed
Case study meeting criteria
The student addresses the question fully, including excellent summaries, critical analysis, synthesis and evaluation. At the higher end, the assignment may demonstrate originality and creativity.
A clear and convincing line of critical and evaluative argument is demonstrated throughout. A degree of originality and insight should also be
present, supported by evidence of wider reading, some of which goes beyond the recommended reading.
The entire work is clearly structured, addresses the topic authoritatively, is based on extensive and critically informed background reading, and is also succinct.
Demonstrates creativity and some originality in the selection and presentation of evidence.
Provides thorough critical analysis of seminal
work, and an informed knowledge of theoretical positions. All evidence cited is correctly referenced in the text as well as in the
References upto 25-35 IN TOTAL. AQA7 FORMAT
Appendices upto 5-8
|The following table is a suggested (NOT RECOMMENDED) framework to present your case study and shows how your case study could relate to the proficiencies on which you have been assessed in practice or use internet NHS NURSING GUIDELINES
|Word limit UPTO 1500 (State actual word count without references)
|Possible framework||Guidance/ suggestions|
|Introduction||· State overall focus that it is a case study based on achievement of a proficiency(s) or that it concerns patients or clients for whom you have provided care.
· Include statement of maintenance of confidentiality (NMC, 2018)
|Set the scene
|· Social history
· Medical history (including physical/ psychological)
· Significant events
|· Main issue
· Relevant anatomy and physiology?
· Any multi-morbidities?
****** Be succinct and only include details that are relevant to your case study
|Assessment||· Were any ‘tools’ of assessment used? Reference them!
· How were skills of communication used with the patient/ client?
· Was the patient/ client’s family/ carer involved?
· How was the assessment recorded?
|Planning of care||· How was the care which was to be delivered, planned?
· Did it involve collaboration with other members of the multi-disciplinary team (MDT)?
· How was the plan of care recorded?
|Lifestyle choices (where relevant)||· Had the patient or client made certain lifestyle choices within their life course which may have contributed to their condition?
· Were there opportunities for the patient/ client to consider or adopt other lifestyle choices?
|Delivery of care||· Was this straightforward or were there barriers to this?
· Was this in the form of personal care needs?
· Did the patient/ client require medication?
· Did the patient/ client co-operate?
|Evaluation of care||
|· State the main points gleaned from the case study.
· Do not introduce new material.
APA 7th Referencing